Recognize 10 common mistakes committed by the defendant and his DUI attorney Vancouver Washington pro and ways to avoid each blunder.
1. The most common mistake defendants make is not taking the DUI charge seriously. A DUI conviction can remain on your criminal record forever, and that could be subject to review when seen by employers, lenders and insurance companies. A DUI attorney Vancouver Washington pro should then be the one to inform the defendant of the seriousness of the case and the severe penalties associated with it.
2. Assuming the case can’t be won is the single worst mistake a Vancouver WA DUI attorney can make. There are lawyers that simply give up after seeing the police report and getting back the breath test results. This evidence can still be challenged as long as the DUI attorney puts enough time and effort to try to resolve the case.
3. DUI cases are extremely complex and need competent representation. The equipment and evidence associated with drunk driving is very technical and scientific, which is why not hiring an attorney who is qualified for DUI-related cases can cost you a lot. A winnable case can instantly become a loser when passed to the wrong hands.
4. When it comes to DUI cases, you may well get what you pay for, which is why hiring a DUI lawyer Vancouver Washington located based on the affordability of fees is simply a no-no. Most DUI attorneys exert the right amount of time and effort depending on how much you pay them. If you go too low, you have probably lost your chances of winning your case.
5. It is malpractice for a DUI lawyer to neglect advising defendants about administrative sanctions resulting from a conviction. Many of these sanctions revolve around license suspensions and revocation, a significant fine, loss of job or even jail time. It then makes it important to know about these penalties when you do decide to plead guilty with your case.
6. It is true that anything you say can be used against you. It then makes it a huge mistake to talk to people other than your attorney about your case. When you talk about the details of your case with friends and family, you are potentially turning them into witnesses against you.
7. If you neglect to appear in Court, a bench warrant will most likely be issued by the Court for your arrest. This means that the next time you are stopped for a traffic violation, there are plenty of more serious consequences that await you. In fact, you may spend a significant amount of time in jail and pose a larger bond for future appearances.
8. DUI cases involve a great deal of scientific evidence that requires a review of breath tests, sobriety tests and the like. You will be surprised by the countless times when evidence shows that the results of such tests are unreliable. In fact, it is with these tests that the defendant usually has a strong and favorable case so assuming that they are insurmountable is wrong.
9. Most DUI defendants appear nervous and awkward when taking to the stand and so rarely make a good impression on the jurors. Because of the actions of the defendant, it makes the jury or judge find it easy to decipher whether the defendant is being entirely honest or completely lying. Defendants are not experienced and credible witnesses so it is better for the lawyer to place reasonable doubt in the jury’s mind.
10. In addition, driving after your license has been revoked is a more serious crime than your original charge. In fact, you can be faced with fines up to $1,000 and jail sentence for up to six months. It is then the role of the DUI attorney Vancouver Washington pro to remind his defendant to avoid going behind the wheel until the case is resolved.